Monday, October 14, 2013

REFORMATION




This piece works is under the same principles as the framed photograph of the scarves and the aprons (A PORTRAIT OF A PORTRAIT ) . The one key difference is that the objects that are behind the images are not the ones represented in the photograph. This work also uses the idea of The Treachery of Images (This is Not a Pipe) (La trahison des images [Ceci n'est pas une pipe]) by Rene Magritte. The 3 photographs are the byproduct of the earlier piece. A piece which soured for me. In these new pieces, I have placed objects that are weighted and dear to me. It is in this way that, when I look at the photographs, I am no longer looking at the images of the aprons, but, at the things behind them. The things that bring me a quiet and curtain joy. I am hoping that in time, just like Pavlov's dog, I will once again salivate at the sound of the bell, and the aprons will become beautiful again.  


  

No comments:

Post a Comment